Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday Night Li Veli

from the "critical-schmitical" dept...

Anyone who knows me a little might have figured out that I love white wine. Riesling, Chenin Blanc, Verdicchio, Vermentino, Friulano, you name it. I love white wine. And then I love rosé. But not to steal anyone’s thunder, I am here to heap praise upon a white wine I just had.

From Apulia and the Masseria Li Veli comes the Askos Verdeca. Old vines, certified organic, no wood, no malo, just a glass of scrumptious flavor. A white wine that is as serious as a red wine. A wine after my own heart, even in its semi-broken down state. A wine for today, for tonight and for all night long. Does it sound like I am wanting to get my drink on?

Well, my friend, if you just went through the week I went through, you might be looking for something to take you away. And hey, you probably did go through the week I just went through, or maybe something similar. If not last week, then another time. In any case, I think you know what I am saying.


We just had a wine demo at the world's greatest little Italian wine and food market, yep you guessed it, Jimmy’s. Sausage Paul was in Austin to get his son Charlie settled into the UT campus. And Joey the Weasel was "power washing his Bentley", as the saying goes. So life is good for those guys. But I made the trip down to Fitzhugh and Bryan and met up with our other salesman there, Walter and his wonderful mother, who actually has the license to pour wines to the public. I hear she is an excellent cook and being from Southwestern Louisiana, she “knows” food. And she can sell. We, I mean, she sold all the white wine out in less than three hours. Yeah, and someone thought this wine wouldn’t go over maybe so well?

Anyway, grab you a bottle somewhere in the world, and take it home. Or order it on a wine list. Retail it should sell for under $20 and on a wine list for around $40? Great value in a serious wine that I wouldn’t be ashamed to pour to Eric the Red or Alice or Raj or Paul G or Drew or James or Guy. Or my mom. Go get some and get yourself away from this computer screen, ya hear?

And if you cant pull yourself away, check out this spiffy video below from the folks at LiVeli., whose web site, I am happy to say, isn't clogged with Flash applications. It's a step in the right direction for a web site that can be usable for wine professionals. Thank you LiVeli!





Real Time Analytics